Friday, October 05, 2007

Expressing Solidarity with the People and Monks of Burma




At around noontime, I and some of my students joined a "prayer service" in front of the Buddhist temple here in Davao to express our solidarity with the people and monks of Burma. Before saying the opening prayer, I read this poem which I composed earlier:

The Empty Streets and Monasteries of Burma
Fr. Amado L. Picardal, CSsR

There is silence in the empty streets
and monasteries in Burma.
The saffron robes of the monks have turned to red
as they languish in prison or float in the river
while the Generals in their luxurious palaces order their troops
to continue maintaining “peace and order.”

Meanwhile, the grumbling in the stomachs and the hearts
of the people of Burma continues to grow.
Their anger and courage will overwhelm their fear
that have kept them enslaved and impoverished for so long.
It is only a matter of time when the hated regime
will share the same fate of the other dictatorial regimes all over the world.

They will not reign forever and ever.
Someday, the streets and monasteries of Burma will be full
of monks and citizens celebrating their freedom.

1 comment:

GiLjuN said...

"Someday, the streets and monasteries of Burma will be full
of monks and citizens celebrating their freedom."

That's also my prayer, Fr. Picx. I was moved as I listened to your poem this morning in the Buddhist temple. You are not just my professor and teacher. Indeed, you are a witness. Thanks for your loving service. -GIL CASIO, S.M.