Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Preparing for the Camino de Santiago (a Running/Walking Pilgrimage)

We only have less than two months before the end of semester and I am pre-occupied with my preparation for my Sabbatical - and especially for my running/walking pilgrimage to the Camino de Santiago de Compostela. It is an 800 km trek which starts at St. John Pied de Port, a village South of France at the base of the Pyrennees mountains, across the northern part of Spain and finishing at the western city of the Santiago de Compostela, where the tomb of St. James the Apostle is believed to be located. The Camino de Santiago is one of the three major pilgrimage center of Christianity (besides Jerusalem and Rome). For more than a thousand years, pilgrims have gone to Santiago de Compostela, mostly on foot. It usually takes 30-35 days to walk on the Camino Frances. I plan to do it in 21-24 days (combining walking and running). I will start my pilgrimage on July 12, after my summer course in Rome (Ecumenical & Interreligious Dialogue). I will be carrying a 15-lb backpack including an ultra-light tent, so that I can sleep under the stars.

My physical preparation is underway. I run-walk for 6-8 hours once a week, and 2-3 hours thrice a week. After Easter, I will run-walk across Mindanao (from Iligan to Davao, 400 km). I still have one month of running/walking up and down the mountain of Busay during my one-month hermitage before I leave for Rome in June.

Here are some of the books I have been reading as part of my preparation.












5 comments:

Unknown said...

I always dream of joining pilgrimages in Europe. Are there institutions that can help us with the expenses?

Sil said...

Buenas dias Amado!
I loved Fr Kevin's book and Joyce Rupp's book.
If you have time, the very best book to read on the history, traditions, folklore, art, architecture, saints lives, fauna and flora etc is one by husband and wife team, David Gitlitz and Linda Davidson, "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago". It is considered the 'text book' on the camino Frances.
abrazo,
Sil

Fr. Picx said...

Fireomen, unfortunately there are no institutions that can help you with the expenses. You'll have to rely on your parents or on yourself (after you finished your studies and find a job).

Sil, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look it up in the Amazon.Com

Fr. Picx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi!

My name is Miles and I will be biking the Camino de Santiago in September, 2010 with my siblings. I live in Valencia, Bukidnon and am quite happy I've found someone doing the same thing.

I was in Lyons last year and heard from a random friend about the Camino. I had wanted so badly to join him but didn't have the time and the psychological preparation for the journey. Since my purpose for doing this is to find myself, I was kinda adamant I might not like what I find. Hence the preparation.

I read a book by Tim Moore on doing the Camino "old-school"--with a burro. It's hilarious. I bought that Kerkeling book as well.

I wish you all the luck on your journey and hope you share your experience on this blog, so I can fill out my notes (which I almost never revisit).