Saturday, October 06, 2012

Celebrating my 58th Birthday

           I turn 58 today - two more years to go before legally becoming a senior citizen. But I do not feel that old. I set my alarm clock for 4:45 am but I ignored it and slept longer. I finally had my morning meditation and mass at 7 am. It was already 9:30 am when I set out for a long-distance run/walk around Metro-Manila. I was just reflecting prayerfully about my life-journey and giving thanks to God for all the blessings. I stopped by  a fast-food restaurant  for a bite at 1:30 pm and continued on. I got back to Baclaran at 5:30 pm.
            No birthday party for me. The confreres in Baclaran community didn't know  that it's my birthday but I got a lot of birthday greetings in the  cyberspace  from my Facebook. friends. How, ironic.
            I feel very contented with where I am now - working outside the congregation and making a major contribution to the whole Philippine Church in promoting the formation of Basic Ecclesial Communities (BECs) all over the country. This month for example I will be the guest speaker for the silver jubilee celebration of the Basic Ecclesial Communities in the diocese of Digos. Then immediately after, I fly to Cebu and will be one of the speakers during the National Institute of Seminary Formators (there three speakers - Archbishop Chito Tagle, Bishop Gerry Almazan and I). I will be speaking about BECs and Seminary Formation. After that I have to fly back to Manila and will be the guest speaker during the Kalookan Diocesan BEC assembly. Next month I will be the guest speaker during the Daet Diocesan BEC assembly. This will be followed by the Mindanao-wide BEC assembly and then the Novaliches diocesan BEC assembly.
            I feel that I am fulfilling my life's destiny. I am making a maximum impact. There is still much to be done. I have to finish writing and editing the manuscripts for publication. The following are my book projects: The Beloved (Memoirs, Diaries and Letters of a Priest), The Vision of a Renewed Church (Ecclesiology of Vatican II and PCP II ),  Manual  for  Developing BECs, Ministry and Orders, Pastoral Leadership and Management.  When published I know that I will make a greater impact. I don't know how much time I have remaining .  I have to make sure that these will be published as soon as possible.

2 comments:

ksam said...

Belated Happy Birthday! And here's to hoping you have lots of time to continue Gods work. Peace, Karin

Fr. Picx said...

thanks Karin. I long for the time when I can walk the Camino once again. It's an experience that I want to repeat over and over again. I promised to do the Camino during the next Xacobeo (2021) but that too long a wait. I'm due for Sabbatical in 2016 ....