Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What's wrong with my heart?

Yesterday I had a CT angiography at the Davao Doctor's Hospital. My cardiologist had asked me to go through this high tech procedure to find out definitely if I really have atherosclerosis and myocardial ischemia as the stress test had reported. This morning I got the result of the angiography and discussed it with the doctor. So, I tested positive. While my heart is strong, the arteries that deliver blood and oxygen to the heart have become narrow due to the plaques and the cholesterol deposit. My only consolation is that although I may occasionally experience angina, the risk of heart attack is not too high.

The doctor has prescribed cholesterol lowering drugs (lipitor) and some multivitamins. He also urged me to continue my diet and exercise program. I will go another stress test after six months to see if the ischemia will still be there.

So my marathon comeback is on hold. I am not sure if my "Bike for Life and Peace Around the Philippines" will push through this summer.

No comments: